Most clients are confused about what is meant by a Legal Separation.  With a Legal separation, a petition for legal separation is filed in Superior Court, and a person is not considered legally separated, until a Decree of Legal Separation has been signed by a judge or commissioner or entered with the court.


The primary difference is that the marriage relationship is not dissolved, couples remained married following the entry of a Decree of Legal Separation. A Legal Separation action is similar to a dissolution of marriage action, in that all the same issues are resolved by the court including division of property and liabilities, entry of a parenting plan if there are minor children, child support, maintenance, and attorney’s fees.

Contact Washington family law attorney Paul Houser at 425-272-0039. For initial consultations the 1st fifteen minutes is free, or a discount of 25% of the hourly rate for the initial conference, whichever is greater.