If a child is born to a couple who are not married, but who acknowledge parentage on the child’s birth certificate and with the State of Washington Department of Vital Records, then a petition to establish a parenting plan and a child support order can be commenced.

Even though couples are not married, the court has jurisdiction to enter a parenting plan and enter an order of child support, essentially based upon the same standards as married couples.  The number of unmarried couples having children is increasing and it is more common now to commence an action to determine parenting and child support.

If a parent has not acknowledged parentage of the child, then a paternity action may be commenced to establish parentage, as well as enter an order of child support and parenting plan.  To protect your rights, an experienced family law attorney is invaluable.  Paul Houser, Jr. has that experience.